Re: [debian-knoppix] How to update the hardware database for autodetection?

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 02:15:49PM +0800, Ben Lau wrote:
> Klaus Knopper wrote:
> >On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 02:01:55PM +0800, Ben Lau wrote:
> >
> >>hi,
> >>
> >>   I have a bt878 based capture card that required additional options
> >>to make it work under debian/knoppix. However , knoppix 3.3 would just
> >>simply modprobe the bttv without any options. Result that the system
> >>take several minutes to initialize the bttv module but in fact it don't
> >>work.
> >>
> >>   Although I can specific the options through the kernel cmd
> >>interface , I would like to update the knoppix's hardware database
> >>directly. So that I can contribute my work for next version of knoppix.
> >

> >Just send the "lspci -n" vendor- and product-id of your card, together
> >with the corresponding module entry to me. The current table is shown in
> >/usr/share/hwdata/pcitable.
> >
> >With kind regards
> >-Klaus Knopper
>
> Hi,
>
>     Thanks for your reply. But what if the module required specific
> options? For example , it need to pass bit_test=1 to i2c-algo-bit and
> card=77 to bttv module.

In this case, it would be best not to load the module by autodetection
at all, but configure it manually with the nice "configure-xawtv" tool
from Fabian, which is located in the KNOPPIX menu. So, I _still_ need
the PCI numbers in order to add a "none" in the module field in
pcitable. ;-)

> The data:
>
> Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11)
> 109e:0878

So, vendor ID is 109e, product ID is 0878, right?