Re: [debian-knoppix] How to update the hardware database for autodetection?

Klaus Knopper wrote:
On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 02:15:49PM +0800, Ben Lau wrote:

Klaus Knopper wrote:

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 02:01:55PM +0800, Ben Lau wrote:

hi,

I have a bt878 based capture card that required additional options to make it work under debian/knoppix. However , knoppix 3.3 would just simply modprobe the bttv without any options. Result that the system take several minutes to initialize the bttv module but in fact it don't work.

Although I can specific the options through the kernel cmd interface , I would like to update the knoppix's hardware database directly. So that I can contribute my work for next version of knoppix.

Just send the "lspci -n" vendor- and product-id of your card, together
with the corresponding module entry to me. The current table is shown in
/usr/share/hwdata/pcitable.

With kind regards

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. But what if the module required specific options? For example , it need to pass bit_test=1 to i2c-algo-bit and card=77 to bttv module.

In this case, it would be best not to load the module by autodetection
at all, but configure it manually with the nice "configure-xawtv" tool
from Fabian, which is located in the KNOPPIX menu. So, I _still_ need
the PCI numbers in order to add a "none" in the module field in
pcitable. ;-)

The data:

Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11)
109e:0878

So, vendor ID is 109e, product ID is 0878, right?

yes , Vendor ID is 109e and product ID is 0878.

ohohoh... because redhat 9 can create a correct modules.conf for it.. I just thought Knoppix can perform it too. Would it have plan to upgrade the autodetection engine to make it be able to load module with specific options?