Re: [debian-knoppix] Suggestions for knoppix

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 04:53:36PM +0100, lists1 wrote:
> On Friday 02 January 2004 01:08, Rachel Goldman wrote:
> > not to start a flame war but here is some suggestions
> > that I think will make it better..
> >
> > 1) passwords are disabled. Although simpler most
> > programs that require root
> > 	privledges need a "sudo passwd" anyways..
> > 2) acrobat is OUTDATED and most pdfs online now need
> > at least 5.x
> Yes.

No.

Most PDFs out there, work fine with acrobat 4 and xpdf.
The Acrobat 5 License is inacceptable for Knoppix. You won't find
any official acrobat 5 package in Debian either.

> Also, Scribus should be updated.  From what I've seen on their mailing list,
> the latest version has more usable functionality than the version in Knoppix.
> It's a project under very active development, and the latest verson should
> always be included where possible.

Please notify the maintainer of the corresponding Debian package.

> > 3) lack of newbie friendly, gui ftp/news
> > clients(gftp/pan would be my prefered
> > 	apps)
> > 4) Choose a office suite and stick with it, use the
> > space for more apps or
> > 	put gnome back.
> Quanta+ please.  It's a default part of KDE for some time now.

What do you recommend for removal in order to create space for quanta+?
OpenOffice?

> > 5) configuration for gnome 1 is outdated (eg.
> > /etc/skel), remove it or update
> >    them for those who add gnome into their remaster
> > 6) removing imagemagick in favor of gimp will remove
> > knoppix-servicemenus.. Why?

Because the knoppix-servicemenus require imagemagick for rotating
picture files on-the-fly. Gimp is not scriptable this way.

> > 7) install flash, don't ask us to
>
> No.  Please don't do this.  If you do this, please include a README on how to
> disable flash.  Better yet, someone capable of writing a patch, please write
> a patch that allows you to disable the pop up box asking if you want to
> install flash every time your pointer passes over a flash object.  Yes & No
> choices aren't enough.  Add a third option that says: No, and DON'T ASK
> AGAIN.

Distribution of the Linux version of the current Macromedia Flash Plugin
is ILLEGAL, following Macromedias License. Only "authorized" platforms
(which are defined as "Windows, Macintosh" in the "Redistribution
License") are allowed to redistribute the plugin. Please discuss this
with the lawyers of Macromedia, not with me.