Re: [debian-knoppix] Suggestions for knoppix

On Friday 02 January 2004 01:08, Rachel Goldman wrote:
> not to start a flame war but here is some suggestions
> that I think will make it better..
>
> 1) passwords are disabled. Although simpler most
> programs that require root
> 	privledges need a "sudo passwd" anyways..
> 2) acrobat is OUTDATED and most pdfs online now need
> at least 5.x
Yes.
Also, Scribus should be updated.  From what I've seen on their mailing list,
the latest version has more usable functionality than the version in Knoppix.
It's a project under very active development, and the latest verson should
always be included where possible.

> 3) lack of newbie friendly, gui ftp/news
> clients(gftp/pan would be my prefered
> 	apps)
> 4) Choose a office suite and stick with it, use the
> space for more apps or
> 	put gnome back.
Quanta+ please.  It's a default part of KDE for some time now.
> 5) configuration for gnome 1 is outdated (eg.
> /etc/skel), remove it or update
>    them for those who add gnome into their remaster
> 6) removing imagemagick in favor of gimp will remove
> knoppix-servicemenus.. Why?
> 7) install flash, don't ask us to

No.  Please don't do this.  If you do this, please include a README on how to
disable flash.  Better yet, someone capable of writing a patch, please write
a patch that allows you to disable the pop up box asking if you want to
install flash every time your pointer passes over a flash object.  Yes & No
choices aren't enough.  Add a third option that says: No, and DON'T ASK
AGAIN.

> 8) use kdm in runlevel 5 to allow someone to log into
> root for extended use of
>    applications that need it or infrequent crashes or
> changes that would
>    shutdown knoppix.
>    I suggest using kdm for login and making changing
> display managers easier and
>    root access apps and editing /etc/sysconfig/desktop
> to include
>    displaymanager="kde" so you would   get "old style
> logout of kde with
>    reboot/log off options.
> the last one being something I can't get to work
> myself being a newbie, but the others some of the
> others (updating/installing/removing programs) are
> easy to
> remaster but not for everyone. Most of these
> suggestions are to make the normal windows user more
> likely to try knoppix and use it from day one without
> remastering being someone who is in transition
> (windows-->linux) myself.
>
> Thanks for your time and please keep up the good work
> but keep my suggestions in mind when the newest cd
> comes out.

I agree.

> Rachael

Bing.