[debian-knoppix] Window$ & Knoppix

Friends,

I am a "newbie" to LINUX, although am fairly capable with other operating
systems.

I have a question about installing Knoppix.

I have a nice WinBook Si notebook computer, 533 MHz Celeron, 256 MB RAM,
10 GB HD, CD-ROM, 3.5" floppy drive, Logitech 3-button "Trackman
Portable", sound, LCD screen.... what have I not listed?

I used V-Com's SYSTEM COMMANDER 7.03 to partition the hard drive as
follows (in the sequence as shown in System Commander's partitioning
program):

Partition 0 = 2.0 GB MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 98 SE ("Drive C")

Partition 2 = 1.95 GB Dos & Windows programs ("Drive H")

Partition 1 = 5.41 GB Extended

Then, within this Extended partition:

Partition 1 = 1.95 GB Dos & Windows Data Files ("Drive D")

Partition 2 = 549 MB  A CD image ("Drive E")

Partition 3 = 47 MB  ("Drive F")

Partition 4 = 101 MB WinSwap & Mozilla Cache ("Drive G")

Partition 5 = 2.19 GB Linux

Partition 6 = 596 MB  Linux Swap.

(The CD-ROM, of course, Windows sees as "Drive I")

"System Commander" also permits me to select, at boot-up time, which
operating system I wish to use.

Of course, I wish to include LINUX as an additional boot option, (using
System Commander to select KNOPPIX-LINUX, or Windows, or MS-DOS 6.22)!!

Now, here is my question:

I have Knoppix Version 3.2 on a CD-ROM.

If I go to the BIOS of this notebook computer, and set the boot sequence
to CD-ROM first, and then insert this Knoppix CD into the CD-ROM drive,
will Knoppix KNOW that there is space already formatted and waiting for
its Linux and LinuxSwap data....

or will it try to wipe out my Windows and Dos partitions?

I dearly wish to have Knoppix on this notebook computer, but I do not
wish to lose all the Windows stuff.... at least, not until I become more
competent with LINUX!!!

I am 72 years old, a retiree living on a modest social security pension
in the mountains of north Georgia (USA, not Europe!)  None of my
neighbors can even spell "LINUX"!!

Any help will be much appreciated!!

Danke sehr! Merci beaucoup! Dank U vell! Xie-xie! Domo arrigato! Grazie
mille!   !Mil gracias!  Obrigado! Diolch yn fawr!

David Dunbar