Re: [debian-knoppix] Window$ & Knoppix

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 08:52:25PM -0500, B. Citizen66 wrote:
> Friends,
>
> I am a "newbie" to LINUX, although am fairly capable with other operating
> systems.
>
> I have a question about installing Knoppix.
>
> I have a nice WinBook Si notebook computer, 533 MHz Celeron, 256 MB RAM,
> 10 GB HD, CD-ROM, 3.5" floppy drive, Logitech 3-button "Trackman
> Portable", sound, LCD screen.... what have I not listed?
>
> I used V-Com's SYSTEM COMMANDER 7.03 to partition the hard drive as
> follows (in the sequence as shown in System Commander's partitioning
> program):
>
> Partition 0 = 2.0 GB MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 98 SE ("Drive C")
>
> Partition 2 = 1.95 GB Dos & Windows programs ("Drive H")
>
> Partition 1 = 5.41 GB Extended
>
> Then, within this Extended partition:
>
> Partition 1 = 1.95 GB Dos & Windows Data Files ("Drive D")
>
> Partition 2 = 549 MB  A CD image ("Drive E")
>
> Partition 3 = 47 MB  ("Drive F")
>
> Partition 4 = 101 MB WinSwap & Mozilla Cache ("Drive G")
>
> Partition 5 = 2.19 GB Linux
>
> Partition 6 = 596 MB  Linux Swap.
>
> (The CD-ROM, of course, Windows sees as "Drive I")
>
> "System Commander" also permits me to select, at boot-up time, which
> operating system I wish to use.
>
> Of course, I wish to include LINUX as an additional boot option, (using
> System Commander to select KNOPPIX-LINUX, or Windows, or MS-DOS 6.22)!!
>
> Now, here is my question:
>
> I have Knoppix Version 3.2 on a CD-ROM.
>
> If I go to the BIOS of this notebook computer, and set the boot sequence
> to CD-ROM first, and then insert this Knoppix CD into the CD-ROM drive,
> will Knoppix KNOW that there is space already formatted and waiting for
> its Linux and LinuxSwap data....

Knoppix DOES NOT USE your harddisk, until you explicitly say so. Knoppix
DOES NOT NEED an installation. It runs completely from CD. You can even
remove the harddisk from your computer if you are uncertain.

> or will it try to wipe out my Windows and Dos partitions?

No, unless you do this manually.

> I dearly wish to have Knoppix on this notebook computer, but I do not
> wish to lose all the Windows stuff.... at least, not until I become more
> competent with LINUX!!!

You CAN install newer versions of Knoppix on harddisk, if you wish,
though installation is not required for productive use. If you want to
do this, you should just make sure there is some empy space on your
harddrive so you can create at least 2 Linux partitions, one for the
System (for Knoppix approx. 3 GB) and about 200MB for Swap during the
installation process. A partitioning program is integrated in the
knoppix-installer. You should get Knoppix version 3.3 and type "sudo
knoppix-installer" in the shell if you want to do this. Please ALWAYS
make sure that you have a working backup of your important data prior to
experimenting with ANY new software, no matter if Windows, Linux or
anything else.

> I am 72 years old, a retiree living on a modest social security pension
> in the mountains of north Georgia (USA, not Europe!)  None of my
> neighbors can even spell "LINUX"!!

I personally think that Linux is way easier to use than Windows, if
installed properly. You are already trying to do "expert stuff", which
is OK if you are technically interested. Usually, people who just want a
comfortable Linux system, contact their nearest Linux User Group and ask
for assistance or pay someone for the installation and configuration,
which is what you would do for Windows, too. I doubt that anyone wants
to install Windows on his/her own nowadays.

Having some people around who can help with difficult stuff (if there is
any), is always very convenient, so I would recommend first searching
for your nearest Linux user group and contact them, just in case.

With kind regards