Re: [debian-knoppix] create_compress_fs : too big file !!!

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 09:10:13PM -0700, Austin Godber wrote:
> Klaus Knopper wrote:
> >On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 08:26:05PM +0200, Baeckeroot alain wrote:
> >
> >>The file is now 715 MB instead of 700 !!! so it doesn't fit into my CD !!!
> >

> >No, you are just victim of a kernel bug in the iso9660 filesystem.
> >Hardlinks are not correctly copied as hardlinks, so they are split into
> >individual files and therefore require more space on the destination
> >filesystem. If you replace all files that are >= 1 Byte and identical by
> >content to each other, with hardlinks, the allocated space should shrink
> >accordingly.
> >
> >Regards
> >-Klaus Knopper
>
> You do this on whatever writeable hard disk filesystem you are mastering
> from (ext2/3) correct?

Yes. If you plan to boot from that partition directly with the kernel
config used in Knoppix, an ext2 partition is useful, otherwise you will
need an initial ramdisk with your filesystem module. If you remaster in
a chroot environment, any filesystem capable of *nix filesystem features
like devices, symlinks and file permissions/owners will do, ReiserFS or
XFS or ext3 are fine.

> Otherwise it just requires the ISO9660 bug to be
> fixed.  The bug is in the kernel and not mkisofs?

It is a bug in the kernel, right. Apparently, resolving hardlinks in
iso9660 was not a top priority at the design phase of the implementation
of iso9660 in Linux.

The problem is that iso9660 hardlinks do not get the same inode
in the Linux implementation. First I suspected a bug in mkisofs, too,
but Jörg Schilling (author of cdrecord and mkisofs) was helpful in
explainig the problem. Since it is not a "critical" bug, nobody has
cared of resolving it so far, it seems. So, hardlinks on a CD-Rom are
not hardlinks anymore after being copied to HD.