Re: [debian-knoppix] create_compress_fs : too big file !!!

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 08:26:05PM +0200, Baeckeroot alain wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm running Knoppix-3.3_2003.09.24 and I'm remastering...
> As I was in trouble, I tried to remaster the same CD whithout changing anything
> but just test the whole process:
>
> I mount (cloop) the huge compressed KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file
> I copy it to mydir  (for a future chroot apt-get ....)
> I change nothing, and I
> 	mkisofs | create_compress_fs > myKNOPPIX
>
> The file is now 715 MB instead of 700 !!! so it doesn't fit into my CD !!!
>
> What's wrong ?
> Are there any options ?
> I'm working on ext3 filesystem, should I do it on xfs ?

No, you are just victim of a kernel bug in the iso9660 filesystem.
Hardlinks are not correctly copied as hardlinks, so they are split into
individual files and therefore require more space on the destination
filesystem. If you replace all files that are >= 1 Byte and identical by
content to each other, with hardlinks, the allocated space should shrink
accordingly.