Re: [debian-knoppix] The new installer

Am Montag, 22. September 2003 20:15 schrieb Gilles Pelletier:
> The changelog says:
>
> - New and improved inofficial installer "knoppix-installer" from Fabian
> Franz
>
> Is it possible to have more information?

yes.

> Is it possible to create multiple
> partitions?

yes, but you need to change the commented config-file. (HD_MAP)

>  to create a boot disk once installed?

yes. Especially for you :).

> Does it use a standard
> Debian tree or is it mounted here and there on /KNOPPIX, /tmp, /whatever ?

Rubbish, never was.

> seems to say Fabian's installer has been renamed knx-install, which was the
> name previously used for Christian's script. Correct?

Thats old, see the date. My installer is still "knoppix-installer".

> I'm surprised that the change from 3.2 to 3.3 occurs here. The
> modifications don't seem more important than in previous changes to 3.2. Am
> I missing something?

Its kind of stable, many new boot options, the installer much imrpoved and for
more please see here: (might be down due to slashdot ;) )

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5017

(You are also mentioned in this post :) )

> Has anybody tried Mepix? It looks like the Knoppix-Installed dream come
> true.

The installer is no magic either. Please try to install in knoppix-mode.
Mepis is just an remastered knoppix.

You can also try the mepis installer (experimental! But it needs people that
test it!) from the new knoppix. (whole disk mode does not work though):

sudo ln -s /KNOPPIX /linux
sudo /usr/share/knoppix-installer/minstall

[philosophical stuff deleted]

cu

Fabian