Re: [debian-knoppix] Portable embedded distro

hi lobster,

> >reads:
> >USB 1.1: ~ 0.6Mb/s, that's what I've measured
> >USB 2.0: ~ 10Mb/s
> >writes are a bit slower.
>
> OK.
> Well I am impressed.
> Is it a good way of working?
> Does it compare with say booting from a floppy
> or is it more comfortable than that.
> Like a hard disk?
> slower?
> The above figures seem faster than a Hard disk
> as you would expect - that is right?

usb is quite slow. it takes ~5 minutes to trasfer a 180mb file.
try this:
# sync; date; dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/x bs=1M count=180; sync; date
it takes about 7s seconds on my dma100 harddisk. an this:
# sync; date; dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/x bs=1M count=1800; sync; date
takes 58s seconds
now try the same thing with your usb-stick (usually /dev/sda1), enjoy :-)

floppy emulation emulates the original floppy-speed, too - at leas the
transcend usb-stick does so :-( - but when kernel and initrd are loaded,
you're back at full speed :-)

> >you'll need a quite stripped down knoppix, but it works.
>
> Is there one available on the Net or did you create or your own?

I made my own (180 mb .. :-) )
You'll need to modify miniroot.gz: add the usb-modules, modify some lines in
linuxrc. there's a paper about that - "Boot KNOPPIX from an USB Memory Stick"
http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb/

> For example I would like to run Xbasic
> from such a system would this be workable?

yes. if you are patient .. ;-)

> Arcos Multimedia jukebox
> about $500 (but maybe less now)
> it is really a hard disk in a secure
> case with built in music and video decoding software.
> Many companies are doing similar devices.
>
> He is already running out of space and I have suggested
> keeping 5 gig on a hard disk and uploading that.

ah, yes. I've seen something simillar on the msi website.

nik

> Lobster

Mag. Dr. Nikolaus Klepp
IT Consulting, EDV Service & Programmierung
Herakhstraße 20/25
A-4810 Gmunden
Tel.: +43 676 40 27 008
email: dr.klepp@gmx.at