[debian-knoppix] Portable embedded distro

hi lobster ;-)

hi Nik,

:-)

> This seems about the most secure way of running
> an OS
> Can you tell us some more?
> What is the boot up time?

reads:
USB 1.1: ~ 0.6Mb/s, that's what I've measured
USB 2.0: ~ 10Mb/s
writes are a bit slower.

OK.
Well I am impressed.
Is it a good way of working?
Does it compare with say booting from a floppy
or is it more comfortable than that.
Like a hard disk?
slower?
The above figures seem faster than a Hard disk
as you would expect - that is right?

you'll need a quite stripped down knoppix, but it works.

Is there one available on the Net or did you create or your own?

> Do you also save files to the USB-stick?

yes.

For example I would like to run Xbasic
from such a system would this be workable?

> A friend has one of those 40 gig music storage
> devices with a small TV - but it has no proper OS
>
> He has his whole music collection in a pocket sized device
> He has a USB connection - so . . .
>
> with Linux plus all these
> we have potentially
> data plus mobility, plus security, ++ . . .

maybe :-) some more information about that thing?

Arcos Multimedia jukebox
about $500 (but maybe less now)
it is really a hard disk in a secure
case with built in music and video decoding software.
Many companies are doing similar devices.

He is already running out of space and I have suggested
keeping 5 gig on a hard disk and uploading that.

Lobster