[debian-knoppix] Re: /opt/kernel

Hi, Alex :-).

Tom! Haven't seen you in forever...funny to run into you here. :-)
Anyway, to my question: I've been working with my kernel in an effort to get wireless working, and ended up compiling a 2.4.21 kernel in the process. After doing so and running "make install_modules", I found that running "depmod -a" produced a *ton* of "unresloved symbol" errors in relation to alsa, and my sound was gone. I also saw errors about not reading ELF headers from /opt/kernel/build, as well as /opt/kernel/modules.dep not being an ELF file, etc.

Modules are not meant to be compatible between different versions of the
kernel or different configurations.  If you recompile your kernel, old
modules will usually not work.  ALSA is a third party set of modules, so
they'd need to be compiled again.  On the plus side, I don't think you
need to recompile your kernel.

Simple enough then, I guess.
Could you be so kind as to either point me to an online explanation of /opt/kernel and what's supposed to be below it, or quickly synopsize it for me (so I don't waste too much of your time)? Meanwhile, any ideas as to what my problem is would be greatly appreciated.

The </opt> directory is generally for third party junk, which is why the
Debian folks didn't know what was in it.  I'm guessing Mr. Knopper threw
the third party modules into that directory.

Aaaaahhhh, that makes sense. I guess, then, that there's some sort of kernel config item (or perhaps depmod config item) that's telling it to look in /opt/kernel for certain things. I suppose how Mr. Knopper set this up, though, is something only he can answer. Say, if you're reading this, Mr. Knopper, I'm once more volunteering to write up documentation for the www.knoppix.net website, both to help others and to enrich the site.
As for your problem... what is it, exactly?  You seem to have solved the
problem of not being able to use both network cards at once.
You may wish to check the "Wireless Howto",
<URL:http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Wireless-HOWTO.html>.

My problems were a) depmod spitting out all of those errors, which it looks like I'm on track to resolve; b) *understanding* what /opt/kernel was all about, which I now do; and c) actually getting my wireless card working well enough that it'll talk to my wife's XP box over wireless -- which I think I need to learn more about wireless in general to accomplish. Assuming I can fix alsa/depmod and get the wireless card running, I'll be posting how I did it for the archives, and if desired doing some writeups for knoppix.net. Meanwhile, thanks for your pointers here. Alex Kirk