Re: [debian-knoppix] So, Mr Knopper, are you or aren't you anti-Microsoft? (Was: Software patent?)

hi!

my second try in sending this thing :-)

this script erases /dev/hda, so be sure you know what you do, when you execute
it. please read the sript to see the bad things it does ...

* it creates 2 partitions on /dev/hda, /dev/hda1 (root) and /dev/hda2 (swap).
* /dev/hda1 is ext2, lilo as bootmanger.
* whatever you enter at the bootpromt will end in /etc/lilo.conf, so if you
enter 'knoppix 2', your hd-installation will boot to textmode.
* miniroot.gz is modified and ends in /boot/. you can securely remove the scsi
stuff from /linuxrc (=add an empty script) if you don't need it.
* the installation behaves just like the cd: hardware detection, knoppix.sh, X
installation ...

customisation:
* /cdrom is just an ordenary directory. make a file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/knoppix.sh,
and it will do just the same thing as if you burned it on cd. so if you save
your configs to a disk, copy the disk to /cdrom/KNOPPIX/, then your
customisations will be loaded automaticly.

bad things:
* /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession will always try to build the default desktop
environment and /home/knoppix.

workaround and my way to add users:
* look at /etc/inittab: there you see that /etc/init.d/xsession (as root)
starts /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc (as knoppix) that starts
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession (as knoppix) that starts the window manager
(as knoppix).

So, first customise the desktop as you like. when you're done, copy
/kome/knoppix/ to /etc/skel/. This is our prepared skeleton home directory.
Please change the password entry of knoppix in /etc/shadow to '!', so you
can't use this account any more.

Now add/delete users as you like, use the usual tools - and take /etc/skel as
the skeleton directory.

now there are 2 ways:
A) edit /etc/init.d/xsession: go to line 114, where it says:

	su -c "DISPLAY=:0 exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc" - $USER >/dev/null 2>&1

Change that to run XDM/KDM/GDM or what ever you like - that thingy should run
as root ... it could likely be that you need to install KDM/XDM/GDM on your
computer ... ;-)

B) change /etc/inittab to rin XDM/KDM/GDM ...

Well, now you're done. not so hard, is it?

nik

--

Mag. Dr. Nikolaus Klepp
IT Consulting, EDV Service & Programmierung