[debian-knoppix] /opt/kernel

Klaus, First off, thanks for answering my earlier question related to multiple NICs. It seems like you're *the* person answering questions on this list, which makes me doubly greatful for the work you're doing (and is the reason I'm addressing this mail to you directly). Anyway, to my question: I've been working with my kernel in an effort to get wireless working, and ended up compiling a 2.4.21 kernel in the process. After doing so and running "make install_modules", I found that running "depmod -a" produced a *ton* of "unresloved symbol" errors in relation to alsa, and my sound was gone. I also saw errors about not reading ELF headers from /opt/kernel/build, as well as /opt/kernel/modules.dep not being an ELF file, etc. I poked around the web a bit, and found that the unresolved symbol errors mean that the module I'm trying to run doesn't work with this particular kernel. As for the /opt/kernel errors...not only could I not find anything on the web, but the Debian-user mailing list folks didn't even know what this directory was all about. Since I've seen plenty of boot errors about things like /etc/modules.conf being more current than /opt/kernel/modules.dep, I'm figuring all of this is related. Could you be so kind as to either point me to an online explanation of /opt/kernel and what's supposed to be below it, or quickly synopsize it for me (so I don't waste too much of your time)? Meanwhile, any ideas as to what my problem is would be greatly appreciated. As a return favor, I'll be happy to write a wireless NIC FAQ for knoppix.net once I've got it figured out. Hopefully this will be useful, as I'd like to be able to contribute something back in exchange for the help I receive.
Thanks,
Alex Kirk