[debian-knoppix] ranting and whining (was: Knoppix installation on HDD)

Dear Gilles, dear developers, dear fellow Knoppix users!

[about the way we communicate]

Though I understand some of Gilles' arguments like "I want to
do it the way I'm used to do it" or "I don't want to beta test", they
usually do not apply to free software. Please don't take this as a
personal attack, this is just my opinion. Your comments are appreciated
like everbody else's, but please keep in mind that there are human beings
on the other side, who can easily be insulted, frustrated, demotivated...

Nobody forces you to use free software, you don't have to pay for Knoppix
(and I don't want to know how much the bandwith for the master ftp server
costs, given the fact that everybody's downloading huge ISOs), so you have
no right to _demand_ anything. Your suggestions are, however, very
welcome. Please keep in mind that most people who are working on free
software are doing it in their spare time, and choose your wording
appropriately.

[about booting]

If you want to change something about the boot process, and/or create
rescue disks, please read into the excellent documentation at

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/index.html

This will not only help you solve your particular problem, but you will
understand some of the background behind booting, mounting filesystems
etc. Believe me - this is an extremely satisfying experience like being
able to change a tyre yourself without calling a mechanic :-)

(uneducated guess)
Do you have a particular problem with creating a bootdisk? Couldn't you
just try to copy the Knoppix kernel to a Debian rescue floppy and edit
syslinux.cfg?

[about management]

If you think that the Knoppix team needs to be organized in another way,
please don't just refer to other projects like Gentoo (there are other
people working on that project), but mention what you think is wrong in
the way Klaus manages Knoppix development and how things could be
improved. And again, please mind your wording. I always experienced the
francophone world as an area where people know _how_ they say something in
a particular situation. Please don't make me change my mind on that :-)

[conclusion]

I think Knoppix revolutionized the way many people think about Linux,
especially after the version that was shipped with the German computer
magazine c't. You can throw in a CD, and _without messing with the OS on
your HDD_, get a feeling for what Linux can do today. I've also used it as
a rescue system in command line mode - a lot more useful than rescue
floppies, especially when your floppy drive is broken...

I've been using Debian since 1995, and I agree that the installer is
nothing for people who aren't "computer literate". AFAIR there's work
underway to let parts of Knoppix flow back to the Debian project, and I
think that's the only sensible way to go for HDD based installation.

Klaus, Fabian and the others who were already hiding after this flamewar
:-), please keep up the good work on Knoppix, it is invaluable.

If you need help (e.g. testing, writing docs) , please us users know.

Greetings from Graz

Alex

- --
"People often think of research as a form of development -- that it's
about doing exactly what you planned, doing it on time, and doing it
with resources that you said you'd use.  But if you're going to do
that, you have to know what you are doing, and if you know what you
are doing, it isn't really research."
		--Dave Liddle, The New Yorker, Feb. 23/Mar.2, 1998, p84