Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix installed on HD: still not a standard Debian!

Hi everybody!

Am Freitag 01 August 2003 22:24 schrieb Gilles Pelletier:
> That's why there's no reason for hype about Linux: we're loosing
> the game. There is something wrong about the development model.
> Linux is developed "en vase clos" (in uncommunicating vessels? :)
> by developpers who don't give a damn about end users. If they're
> not satisfied, they should learn programming, and that's it! What
> remains to be seen is what programmers will think when their
> dentist turns out to be another programmer...

No - I don't think so! You must not be a programmer to do anything. And
of course: Programmer often things about the end users. Just take KDE
as an example:
There are a lot of non programmers and they are
- writing help files
- translating things

And if a good idea was mentioned in a maillist: It will be discussed and
if the idea is good, then you can be sure, that it will be done (sooner
or later!).

Of course: You can read the hard answer on maillinglists: "If you want
it: take the source and do it on your own!", but every time I read
these answers, there was an End User you comes a long with an opinion;
He bought the product and now we had to do somethin for him. He is our
customer and he has  a right for suport ... And that is wrong. And of
course: We have better things to do than that.

But there are a lot of people out there, who can build up new things.
And good ideas will be done, if you bring them the right way. I am a
programmer, too. And every time, a user is interested in my project, I
am glad to hear that. And of course: Ideas are also welcome!

> Programmers don't learn to think as a non-programmer. Instead of
> asking "Are your computers connected together and/or are you
> using a cable connection (not your telephone line!) ?, they ask
> if you want to install a DHCP server or DHCP broadcast. (Case
> with Christian's script)

That is normal business. You cannot expect a programmer to think as a
non-programmer. Because of this fact, it is important to get some kind
of feed back! If you see these things: Try to discuss it in a kind
manner! Normaly these ideas are welcome!

So all I can tell you: Keep on sending your good ideas back to the
programmer. Maybe they are ignored. But that doesn't matter! if some
ideas were accepted by the programmer, you will have done a really good
work!

With kind regards,

Konrad