Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix installed on HD: still not a standard Debian!

Am Donnerstag, 31. Juli 2003 21:26 schrieb Gilles Pelletier:
Why should Knoppix be a standard Debian? Standard Debian is outdated and it's
users need to do everything by hand. The Knoppix-Idea is to do everything
automatically, what can be done automatically.

> I tried to make a boot floppy with mkrescue on a Knoppix HD installation:
> desn't work! So, it seems I'll stay with Slackware for now. Maybe Fabian
> will want to send me an email when version 1.0 of his script is out.

The HD-Installer will get the "1.0" as the point, it'll produce a system,
which works as good as the system on the CD currently does. This is way more
complicate, because the people expect a faster boot and expect all prefs to
be saved. Also we need to find a way that stock-debian packages (which will
be required forever because they are a perfect base) do not kill the
installation.

> I find not much has changed hd-installation wise since
> end of october 2002. And that's 9 months! Now there's a "hidden feature"
> (says Klaus in his interview) to mount a partition as /home, but you've got
> to run your system without a boot floppy, it seems.

many has changed, as the new installer keeps way more of the automatic which
is the important point behind knoppix.

> 1%... or less of the visits to Google are made with Linux!

what do you want to say with that? Linux doesn't only need to be better than
Windows, the people need to know, that it's better. They even need to know,
that it exists. They even need to know, that they can change their OS!

--
Kai Lahmann

N-Bahner
http://www.1zu160.net