Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: Sources for knoppix debian packages

Am Donnerstag, 3. Juli 2003 12:04 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Jorge Bernal Koke wrote:
> > I'm looking for deb-src tarballs for packages such as knoppix-menum
> > knoppix-hdinstall,... I'm trying to customize a knoppix-based distro and
> > I think it's better to use debian packages but I need the source for the
> > debian packages to make some modificatios
>
> Here we are again. I hope we'll find some time at LinuxTag / Debconf 3 to
> get the idea of bootstraping Knoppix from a Debian mirror a little bit more
> into shape.

Yes, I'm also interested in that ...

I just have to find the time to setup a fullgrown debian system... :-)) (to
try it)

Then I think its not really that difficult ... (Its just "reversing" the
process of installing ...)

Important steps [Security/System functionality]

-> Add user knoppix and root with invalid password.
-> Add an very restrictive hosts.allow.
-> Add knoppix to groups (/etc/group)
-> Inittab from Knoppix
-> Install all debian-packages from Knoppix-Mirror [very important]
-> If not done by package add 45xsession to /etc/xsession.d
-> If not done by package remove all /etc/rc.d-links and just replace it with
S00knoppix-autoconfig and the kill-script ... See running knoppix for the
complete layout ...
-> Compile cloop for the kernel and make a new/update boot.img.

Dunno:

-> /etc/mtab symlink to /proc/mounts
-> /etc/skel needs to be prepared ?

Less important:

-> /etc/profile from Knoppix
-> Hostname to Knoppix (/etc/hostname) [Not neccessarily]

Imho that are almost all steps that are needed to have debian turn into whole
knoppix.

Most scripts are quite clear, with the exception of 45xsession, which is not
easy to understand.

cu

Fabian