Re: [debian-knoppix] Open accounting and Open source

Hi Sean,

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 10:16:35 -0400, sean finney wrote:

> i tried knx-hdinstall a month or so back, and the biggest
> problem i had with it was that it wanted to put everything
> in my root partition, and refused to install because it was
> too small (in spite of of the 6gb /usr).

Installing to multiple partitions is not included in knx-hdinstall,
because dividing the "source" filesystem in /KNOPPIX to separate
partitions needs extensive checking for free space, determine in which
order the partitions must be mounted, etc.
I doubt I will include this in the future, because knx-hdinstall should
be a simple and quick installer.

However, if you mount /-partition manually, create a mount point for
/usr and mount the /usr-partition on it before "cp -a ...", Knoppix will
get installed just the way you wanted.

> how about this:
>
> include on the cd the debian install scripts, and put a menu
> option on the knoppix desktop to "install debian", which
> launches two xterms.  the first is the debian installer, and the

Won't work. The Debian installer requires a different filesystem layout
of the install system. And after installing, all the preconfigured
hardware configs generated by Knoppix will be overwritten by the Debian
installer (which is rather dumb when it comes to hardware integration).

bye,
  Chris
--
Christian Perle                                   perle@itm.tu-clausthal.de