Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix-KDE menus and kicker apps/menus...

Hi Terry,

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 13:30:36 -0500, Terry Gray wrote:

> I just installed Knoppix-KDE (with KDE 3.1) onto my harddrive and
> noticed that several menu items present when it is run from the CD
> are not available after it is installed, particularly the KNOPPIX
> menu/sub-menu items.  Where is

These menu items are removed because the unprivileged user "knoppix"
is no longer able to execute them. On the CD, knoppix can execute
everything as root just by prepending "sudo" without any password.
On a harddrive-installed system, this would be a *huge* security hole, so
the install script removes the entry from /etc/sudoers. Many people
complained about the KNOPPIX menu items not working when run from
harddrive, so we decided to remove them too.

The actual scripts behind the items are still there, but you need to
"su" (with root password) before executing them (normal users shouldn't
be able to change network settings, start daemons, ...).

bye,
  Chris
--
Christian Perle                                   perle@itm.tu-clausthal.de