Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix-KDE menus and kicker apps/menus...

Am Dienstag, 18. März 2003 11:16 schrieb Christian Perle:
> Hi Terry,
>
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 13:30:36 -0500, Terry Gray wrote:
> > I just installed Knoppix-KDE (with KDE 3.1) onto my harddrive and
> > noticed that several menu items present when it is run from the CD
> > are not available after it is installed, particularly the KNOPPIX
> > menu/sub-menu items.  Where is
>
> These menu items are removed because the unprivileged user "knoppix"
> is no longer able to execute them. On the CD, knoppix can execute
> everything as root just by prepending "sudo" without any password.
> On a harddrive-installed system, this would be a *huge* security hole, so
> the install script removes the entry from /etc/sudoers. Many people
> complained about the KNOPPIX menu items not working when run from
> harddrive, so we decided to remove them too.
>
> The actual scripts behind the items are still there, but you need to
> "su" (with root password) before executing them (normal users shouldn't
> be able to change network settings, start daemons, ...).

What about substituting the sudo prefix with kdesu? The user is asked for the
root password then. Just an idea...

Regards,

	Christian

--
OFFIS - FuE Bereich Eingebettete Hardware-/Software-Systeme
Escherweg 2 - 26121 Oldenburg - http://www.offis.de/