Re: [debian-knoppix] knoppix security

Hi Peter,

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 01:48:15 +0100, Peter -lastfuture- Marquardt wrote:

> single user mode requires root to specify a password, init=/bin/bash
> causes kernel panic, linux.old is skipped when writing lilo to the mbr.

Why does init=/bin/bash cause a kernel panic?
Works perfectly for me.

> however there is one thing i'd suggest for future releases of knoppix:
> if the root of a fresh knoppix install decides to use
> "password=topsecretpassword" in /etc/lilo.conf it will be visible to all
> users unless he chmods the file to 600. in future versions of knoppix
> that file should have 600 by default. after all especially since pc-welt
> and ct released knoppix with the recent issues of their magazines there
> will be more unexperienced linux users.

I don't believe in local security. You can't secure a machine to which
other people have physical access. They can boot from CDROM or floppy, open
the computer, remove the hard disk, reset the bios password (by
removing the battery)...
So setting a LILO password is fake security.

bye,
  Chris
--
Christian Perle                                   perle@itm.tu-clausthal.de