Re: [debian-knoppix] knoppix security

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 14:26, Christian Perle wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 01:48:15 +0100, Peter -lastfuture- Marquardt wrote:
>
> > single user mode requires root to specify a password, init=/bin/bash
> > causes kernel panic, linux.old is skipped when writing lilo to the mbr.
>
> Why does init=/bin/bash cause a kernel panic?
> Works perfectly for me.

strange, it causes kernel panic for me... interesting... -humms-
i wonder what klaus knopper has to say about that.

> I don't believe in local security. You can't secure a machine to which
> other people have physical access. They can boot from CDROM or floppy, open
> the computer, remove the hard disk, reset the bios password (by
> removing the battery)...
> So setting a LILO password is fake security.

sure, i totally agree with you, but you can at least make it harder for
the potential attacker... if you see it like that you can as well remove
your root password.. there you go, it's fake security anyway.
booting into a passwordless shell where you are able to remount /
writable is something different than having to remove the hard drive in
order to plug it into another pc. the latter will require much more time
and will less likely occur unnoticed. it's also harder to do, so the
attacker thinks twice.

therefore you set a password, and therefore you make the lilo.conf only
readable for root... sure there will be a way to read it, but hey, at
least it's more secure. it's not that you need to type the password
every time you boot, you know. only when you specify arguments to the
kernel. and when do you ever need that?

regards
--lasty