[debian-knoppix] report: strange low-disk-space encounter

yesterday i encountered a strange phenomenon and i'd be glad if somebody
can explain it to me.

i have knoppix installed on a very small hd... it has 3.2 GB in total,
180 MB of that is swap, the rest is system. yesterday i upgraded the
packages and i was also stupid enough not to check the disk space first
and delete some unnecessary media files or packages. so i upgraded,
which was ok since it was still in range as it seems (no package was
broken) but after that i restarted the X server to see the new nifty
subpixel antialiasing for fonts it installed. it started the login
manager but any login attempt as lasty failed. it then simply restarted
the graphical login. as root i could easily log in.
i looked at the X server's error message which said:
> Error loading keymap /var/tmp/server-0.xkm
> Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to Pre-XKB keymap
>
> waiting for X server to shut down

so i looked for packages labeled xkb* and found xkbd, xkbset and xkbsel
which i installed (i was close to zero space then but didn't realize it
at all). and after they proved to be useless i got the newest database
with apt-file to see which package contained the file server-0.xkm
after it complained about an unsuspected end of a file instead of
searching the package database i finally got the idea to look at the
diskspace... which was 100% full..

after deleting media files, packages that i didn't need ...games and
such... and restarting it worked fine again
but now for the strange part: all my configuration files which still
existed in /home/lasty were invalid as it seems.. i had to reconfigure
every single program ... ximian evolution, psi, etc... and gkrellm2 was
even unusable since after right clicking it to change the preferences it
would just access the hard disk forever, use around 20% - 30% of cpu and
make kde unusable until it is killed.

any clue how it happened and what lies beneath all this? i'm clueless.

regards
--lasty