[debian-knoppix] Gnome 2.2

Hello folks,

I've been busy building a Gnome-2.2-Knoppix. It currently works, and what's
more, the problem with gnome-session eating 200Mb memory seems gone. I can't
be sure yet, but it seems fontconfig is at fault here (i.e. fontconfig is
the one building a personal .font.cache-1 as far as I can see). I simply
installed an unstable fontconfig, gnome2-2 and X4.3 and Gnome works out of
the box.

Oh, and while we're at it: with gconftool-2 you can install custom desktop
backgrounds etc., like so:

# gconftool-2 --direct --config-source \
	xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --type string \
	--set /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename \
	/cdrom/KNOPPIX/background.gif

There are other options that stretch the picture on demand.

Best regards,

Valentijn
--
http://www.openoffice.nl/   Open Office - Linux Office Solutions