Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix Persistent_home. What's the use?

Hi David!

> That as always been my understanding of persitant home, save the home
> directory in those physical place. So actually you keep your
> file/settings for all the thinks the user knoppix is doing there.
Exactly! ;-)

> I was not aware that saveconfig could do all those things... and sure a
> floppy might be do small.
A floppy is to small if you store something in your /home/knoppix. For
the typical configuration files it should be sufficient.

> I think there could be a "persistent home and config" or a "Knoppix low
> disk space install". This would be knoppix exactly knoppix, but rather
> than to use ramdisk for /etc /home and other, it would be on a disk (or
> usb thing). This mean any change you make (like setting a permanent ip
> addresse, configuring your ppp-chap and script thing for connecting to
> the internet) to the configuration.

Actually there's in fact a tweaked version of the saveconfig script
already bundled with the current KPH 0.4 release. It's only tweaked to
automatically detect an active KPH and save the configuration to the
(then persistent) /home/knoppix directory. KPH will find saveconfig's
knoppix.sh in the persistent home at boot time and execute it
automatically. This way you can in fact save your ip-address and stuff
(even the windowmanager you've chosen) together with your persistent
home. There are no additional files on the harddisk (or whereever),
because the configs are inside the .knoppix file.

> All the binary/program/fonts/documentation will stay in the KNOPPIX file
> (where ever it reside). I think with such a setting KNOPPIX could be
> permanently install into a +/- 1Go Disk. You dedicate 650-700 for the
> KNOPPIX directory, 128-256 MB for swap and everything else for the
> persistent home and config.
There are several users out there (in the linuxtag and knoppix.net
discussion boards) that already run knoppix this way - and they are
happy with it. Personally i would prefer a clean knx-hdinstall, but it's
ok if you don't have a free partition and your machine is completely
windozified. :-)

> As far as I know "persistent home" is knoppix.sh based, I don't know if
> the concept of "persistent home and config" could be realise in a
> similar way. I don't know how much we could get rid of the ramdisk (or
> schrink it) once we don't need it.
>
> So could you enlight me on the difference between your "persitent home",
> my "persistent home and config", the saveconfig? Would it be interesting
> to enhance persitent home the way I suggest?
In "persistent home" the "saveconfig" is intentionally not called
automatically at system shutdown, because your /home/knoppix alone
should always (?) be portable - say if you store it on an USB stick, you
can load it back on an other machine. If you go ahead and "saveconfig"
your /etc, you're about to bind it more or less to one machine.

> My way of doing it is to have a knoppix.sh that mount the partition
> where I save all of my files and to have a script to overwrite a few
> file in /etc and /home when I need them. But this is very manual thing
> and any automated persistant thing would be better.
:-) This is exactly the way, KPH works: the knoppix.sh of KPH mounts the
.knoppix file ("all of your files") and then invokes the knoppix.sh of
saveconfig to overwrite a few files in /etc. It's really no rocket
science! ;-)

Bye - Matthias