Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix Persistent_home. What's the use?

On February 4, 2003 05:39 pm, Matthias Schwarze wrote:

Hi Matthias!

> > The problem is you can already save data to a hard drive with Knoppix. Of
> > course, you have to change the permissions on the drive manually, but I
> > suppose this could be "fixed" easily. I also suppose Knoppix recognizes
> > thumbdrives and pendrives? So what's the point of persistent_home?
>
> The point is, that this 1 file filesystem is automatically found and
> mounted under /home/knoppix. So your configuration is persistent without
> calling any further scripts. Hence the name "persistent home". Of
> course, you can save your stuff under /home/knoppix yourself to a hard
> drive and load it back manually - or you can write a script for that
> (and call it "persistent home" ;-))

Your other explanations are quite clear but this is the one point I don't
understand. Let's see what has to be done "manually" as Knoppix stands,
without persistent home.

Say you want to write to the /home directory of your hard disk and hda6 is
mounted as /home . You want to save directly to the /matthias/Desktop
directory, without saving on Knoppix's ramdisk before.

You right click the icon /hda6 on Knoppix's Desktop. You check "exec" for user
and uncheck "Read only" on the third tab.

Then, you move to / in the "save as" window of your application and save the
file as /mnt/auto/hda6/matthias/Desktop/file.txt

In other words, since this partition is normally mounted as /home, you just
replace /home by /hda6. Normally, you could even just type the beginning of
the path /mnt/auto/hda6 and click further on the directories in the "save as"
window. So...

If all that is needed to write to a HD -- or thumbdrive? -- with Knoppix is
click the icon on the desktop and set the permissions, then I suppose there
could be an option at boot time to make the HD or thumbdrive writable. Don't
you think?

I had a problem reading the files I had written (maybe all files, I didn't
check) from Knoppix, but they were there in perfect shape when I booted back
to Slackware. My version of Knoppix being that of Oct 31st, maybe this
problem is fixed.

Whatever the case may be, it seems it wouldn't be a big problem having Knoppix
save files to the HD. So why isn't there a boot option? Dunno. Maybe Klaus
didn't want this option so people feel safer lending their computer? Would
this setting be safe if you were saving files while surfing the internet? I
don't understand why it should be less secure.

Is it worth developping a scrip separately when Knoppix can manage do the same
thing? That was and still is my question.

Auf wiedersehen!

Gilles Pelletier
--
La Masse critique, update
Si nous ne nous réveillons pas, les sionistes auront notre peau!