Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix Persistent_home. What's the use?

Hi Gilles!

> Say you want to write to the /home directory of your hard disk and hda6 is
> mounted as /home . You want to save directly to the /matthias/Desktop
> directory, without saving on Knoppix's ramdisk before.

Here's the misunderstanding I think!

"Persistent home" is not meant to use (in any way) your existing /home
directory of another distribution. To do this i would recommend the way
you described. Btw.: write access to the harddrives should never be on
by default in knoppix! Otherwise Klaus' would get sued to death by some
misguided morons and i fear this could be the end of knoppix!? (please
don't quote me on this - i really don't want to reopen this silly
discussion!)

Back to our thread.
"Persistent home" is just about the /home directory of knoppix, that
normally resides in a ramdisk. What persistent home does is: it
"replaces" the ramdisk by a harddisk (or thumbdrive...) for your /home
directory. So whatever you put in your /home directory (the one from
knoppix!!!) is no longer lost if you reboot knoppix. Of course, this can
also be done by the saveconfig script - which works perfectly when you
want to save your config files (in fact: it does even more than ph. e.g.
saving the /etc!). Saveconfig just suffers from the limited space of
floppy disks.

Say we would tweak saveconfig to save directly to harddisk and to search
for it's configuration data at boot time: We only have to call this
saveconfig automatically on every shutdown and we have another approach
for a new "persistent home" script. ;-)

> Auf wiedersehen!
Au revoir!

Matthias