Re: [debian-knoppix] Why so much swap with knx-install?

On January 26, 2003 04:42 pm, Christian Perle wrote:

> Hi Gilles,
>
> > > Anyway, I will send a patched version of the document mentioned
> > > above to the author. But I am only doing this ONCE.
> >
> > So we agree that it cannot be a long term solution. What's the
> > solution, since this is certainly bound to happen again?
>
> Are you asking me to commit myself to organize all Knoppix hard disk
> installing related things? Sorry, I won't do that.

Of course not! The job you're doing now is certainly appreciated. But, as I
said, just a few lines of instructions on your site on how to use
knx-hdinstall would turn out to be THE reference, since your the author.
Hence no need to send updated to knoppix.net, knoppixfr, you name it... for
the years to come.

As I also think a nice little link from www.knoppix.com would be great. (I
suppose Klaus will hate me for repeating this...)

> > Since a changelog is not enough to help newbies for the installation,
> > I believe you should have those few lines of instructions on YOUR
> > site. I also believe that there should be a link front row center on
>
> I really believe I should have something on my site. A general
> disclaimer for knx-hdinstall. Do you know the part of the GPL about
> warranty?

I'm not sure it's part of the GPL but most companies write a disclaimer. In
general, I find the legalese they use is just meant to give some importance
to the lawyers and don't see how it could stand better in court than
something such as:

"Hey! I contribute this script for free. You don't pay a cent for it. So, I'm
doing my best but if it should ever ruin your computer, your company or even
your whole life, I can't be held responsible. You're using my script at your
own risk."

Of course, the main use of a disclaimer is not to prevent people suing you
because you've ruined their computer, but to prevent well founded companies
or individuals pretending you did so and make you loose your time in court
arguing on what exactly happened to their computers. It's agood idea to have
one.

> Further, I should make clear that knx-hdinstall is NOT meant to be a
> standard Debian installer. It will never be, because it only works
> on a running Knoppix system. Selection of single packages is
> impossible because everything is already installed in a big filesystem
> tree under /KNOPPIX (the mount point for /dev/cloop).

But then, what'zit apt-get remove or uninstall, will remove what you don't
need. So, is it worth for a newbie to spend two hours beside his computer
wondering if, for instance, he's going to use Abiword, Kword or Open Office ?

I've got no complain about this. But if Debian developpers would like to take
the whole installation process from where you and Klaus left it, don't you
think it would be better than for them to start from scrach? I know next to
nothing about programming, but I would believe so. That's my point.

If I ever have complains about your installtion script, don't worry, I'm not
shy, you will hear about it right here :) I had problems with the October
31st version not producing a clean mtab file. But that was my only complain
and it apparently been solved. As a simple desktop user, your last version
might very well end up being my #1 :)

> > I don't know what to say except this: I don't believe in the often
> > praised Linux anarchist organization. I believe that for anything to
> > work, a minimal organisation is needed, a self-sustaining,
> > auto-regulating organisation, but an organisation nonetheless.
>
> It is not as anarchistic as you might think. Bigger projects always
> have a project leader or maintainer who decides which patches should be
> accepted, in which direction the project should go etc.
>
> If enough people are unhappy with the current maintainer of a project,
> they will make their own version, possibly renaming it to prevent
> confusion.

I believe under the GPL, they have to rename it. The is still a copyright
under the GPL. Linux is © Linus Torvalds. Nobody can start another OS called
Linux.

As for how anarchist Debian and Linux... or any company in general are, check
my answer to Klaus' message.

Regards!

Gilles Pelletier
--