Re: [debian-knoppix] Why so much swap with knx-install?

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 10:42:43PM +0100, Christian Perle wrote:
> > So we agree that it cannot be a long term solution. What's the
> > solution, since this is certainly bound to happen again?
>
> Are you asking me to commit myself to organize all Knoppix hard disk
> installing related things? Sorry, I won't do that.

Luckily, anybody who feels inspired by Christians script and would like
to volunteer, can write a new/better/enhanced one. After all, it's Free
Software. ;-)

> Further, I should make clear that knx-hdinstall is NOT meant to be a
> standard Debian installer. It will never be, because it only works
> on a running Knoppix system. Selection of single packages is
> impossible because everything is already installed in a big filesystem
> tree under /KNOPPIX (the mount point for /dev/cloop).

Actually, I don't think it is impssible. You can turn any package
installed on Knoppix back into its .deb form using dpkg-repack,
generate the dependency list and install only a selection of the packages.

Of course, this would be a lot of work. I don't know if something like
(a syntactically incorrect example follows)
dpkg-repack --root=/KNOPPIX packagename --outfile - | dpkg -i -
would work, though. Probably you have to use a huge temporary space to
intermediately store all .deb packages.

Or, write a script that copies only the files in the selected packages
using dpkg -L.

It may work. It is surely not a quick hack, though.

Regards
-Klaus
--
Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/