Re: [debian-knoppix] New user needs a hint :)

Hello Massimo,

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 08:14:07AM +0100, Massimo wrote:
> For the soundcard, I can fix it if I append to my modules.conf
>
> alias sound-slot-0 sb
> post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null
> 2>&1
>  || :
> pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1
> |
> | :
> options sound dmabuf=1
> alias synth0 opl3
> options opl3 io=0x388
> options sb io=0x220 irq=10 dma=0 mpu_io=0x330

ISA cards cannot be autodetected, so you do need to put those io and irq
information into /etc/modutils.d/something and run update-modules.
I don't think that knx-hdinstall does this automatically when a
soundcard has been previously configured and the entry is only in
/etc/modules.conf (that gets overwritten in Debian when updateing
modules).

> I don't know if it helps other people, but if it does (and doesn't break
> anything else), please, include those lines in next image. :-)

No, because that would mean that Knoppix no longer supports any
soundcard other than you own. ;-)

> But for the pinnacle pctv rave card, I've go no solution :-(
> I've discovered that my card has newest components (in particular it has a
> MT2032 tuner), and it seems that only bttv 0.7.102 could drive it fairly
> well. Is it possible to have exactly the tree with all the kernel sources and
> the config files used to compile it (in order to patch my kernel with newest
> bttv)? Or, better, have a kernel update with bttv 0.7.102 or later? :)

You may need to add the correct tuner module to /etc/modutils/something,
please read the stuff under /usr/src/linux/Documentation/video4linux/bttv/

> Another question: Can you include Everaldo Crystal icon Theme in KDE and
> Keramik Theme?

If you tell me what to delete instead of this, to make space?

> Ah, last thing: I couldn't install Knoppix onto my HD using XFS (my box locked
> up at 12% of the copy process), so I put Reiserfs. Is it normal?

No, some Board/CD-Roms are reported to have problems when doing much IO
through cloop. It may be random and suceed when you just retry, and it
is probably not connected to ReiserFS or XFS at all.

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org