Re: [debian-knoppix] Why so much swap with knx-install?

Hi Gilles,

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 20:28:13 -0500, Gilles Pelletier wrote:

> The version of knoppix I use dates back to the end of October 2002, but I
> believe the situation hasn't change since.
>
> Why does the HD install script ask for 256 MB of swap? Hey, that's more than

That's not true.
In fact, swap can be disabled completely since script version 0.30
(september 2002). If swap is chosen, the minimum size for the swap
partition is 128 MB, not 256 MB.

> Through trial and error, I discovered the install script wouldn't complain

BTW, why do trial and error when you can read the script?
less /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall

> about a 135 MB swap partition, but I'd still like to cut that in two since
> Mozilla has its own disk cache and I never noticed the HD swapping.

Swap and cache are entirely different things.

> As a matter of fact, I even disabled the swap partition for months and never
> ran into any problem. A 64 MB swap partition would certainly be more than

Disabling swap completely is not very wise. Try the following on
machines with and without swap:

CAUTION! This can lock up your machine!

:() { :& :& } ; :

Without swap, the machine will lock up immediately. When using swap,
there still is a chance that the machine will recover from this fork
bomb.

> Also, I usually install the swap partition on /dev/hda1 because it makes the
> swap partition faster. Can this cause any problem for the install script to
> properly recognize the partitions?

No, the location of the swap partition is not important for the script.

bye,
  Chris
--
Christian Perle                                   perle@itm.tu-clausthal.de