Re: [debian-knoppix] include adslconfig tool in Knoppix ?

#include <hallo.h>
* Florent BERANGER [Wed, Jan 22 2003, 09:54:54PM]:
> ngth: 1312
>
>   Klaus,
> Will it be integrated in the next version ?
> It's requested by many users of knoppixfr.org (and me ;).

Sorry, I had a quit look on your script and there are still problems:

 - where is this speedtouchconfig tool you mentioned?

> > drivers (
> > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/speedtouch/speedtouch_1.0-1.1rc2-1_i386.
> >deb ) (total < 80ko) in the next version of Knoppix, it's very practice ?

  not in this package

> > - Alcatel Speedtouch USB (need the mgmt.o microcode wich cannot be included
> > in Knoppix for legal reasons ?)

Exactly. Impossible. Read the LICENSE:

3. Limitations on Duplication. The Developer will not make any copies of the
  Software or the Documentation; provided, however, that the Developer may
  make one complete copy of the Software or the Documentation solely for
  backup purposes if such copy of the Software or Documentation contains the

If, and only if they would allow to distribute the tarball
(encapsulated into a Debian package), I could imagine that we could
put this package into Debian/non-free with a postinst script that only
extracts the needed firmware and maybe some documentation from the
tarball.

> > - Globespan based ADSL modems (ECI Hi-Focus,...), (need the driver eciadsl
> > - http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/ - wich cannot be included in Knoppix for
> > legal reasons ?)

What is the license? I looked after it, but there is no license file,
and three source files do not have a copyright notice with GPL, but
fortunately the rest seems to GPLed. And I like this software
somehow... one could build a fine Debian package (and so Knoppix
package) from this driver suite, since it is completely in userspace and
accompanies the pppoe tool and so may work as backend of pppoeconf. If
you wish to debianise eciadsl, I could help you.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Aber man hat Shells.  Wieviele Tastaturen hat man?
		-- Nils Magnus