Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix Customization and Persistency FAQ

Greetings from Japan :-)
Thank you for providing great HOW-TOs for remastering Knoppix.

> I wrote that one, but there is an updated one here :
> http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15

Some user in japan solved following problem shown in your How-to:

>> 11. Now you can "chroot" into the copied KNOPPIX : chroot
/mnt/hda4/knxsource
>> /KNOPPIX - new - I get a whole lot of /dev/null permission denied
>> errors, I'm not sure what thats all about, but I press CTRL+C and carry on
>> anyway...

Well, check your mount status if you met the problem:

# mount
        /dev/hda12 on /mnt/hda12 type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev)

where "nodev" means that you are not accessible on mounted filesystem
and you can not access /dev/null. And some scripts get output redirect
to /dev/null...
To solve this you should mount target partition before you do chroot
like this:

# mount /dev/hda12 /mnt/hda12

And see whats changed:

# mount
        /dev/hda12 on /mnt/hda12 type ext3 (rw)

P.S.
We're now translating hdinstall into Japanese and improving Japanese
environments originally done by AIST( http://unit.aist.go.jp/it/knoppix/ ).
Though our project has just begun and there are few filese released,
please visit our project page at sf.jp if interested.

http://sourceforge.jp/projects/ya-knoppix-jp/

regards,
Max
--
Masaharu "Max" Goto
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 4D69 6B1D 484D 999C EDA7  2853 32AF 0C86 9323 3DDB