[debian-knoppix] Knoppix Customization and Persistency FAQ

Hi List,

since there are a lot of questions regarding how to make special
customizations of Knoppix or how to make certain parts persistent, I set
up a FAQ for this issue.

Please check the V0.1 version and send me comments, corrections and
fixed typos. Some parts in [] require further details. Please fill them
in. This version is primarily for discussion on the list. I'd like to
publish a version V1.0 before Chrismas, so don't hestitate to annotate ;)

Regards,

Nils Magnus
Program-Chair LinuxTag 2003 Free Conference Program

LinuxTag 2003: Where .com meets .org - magnus@linuxtag.org
The Knoppix Customization and Persistency FAQ

Version V0.1 (not-for-public-release) as of 2000-12-14.

Transiently maintainded by Nils Magnus (magnus@linuxtag.org).

Q01: I like the way Knoppix works. Can I install it on my harddrive?

A01: Yes, you can. There is the tool knx-hdinstall on the ISO image that
deals with this question. More mature users see also Q5 for
installations "by hand".

Q02: What are the prerequisites to install Knoppix on a harddrive?

A02: First of all, Knoppix was never designed to be installed on a
harddrive. Nevertheless, you can do that if you have some basic
understanding how generic Linux installations work. It may be (on the
contrary to the plain Knoppix itself) suitable for first time Linux
Users. Your milage may vary.

Q03: Can I install Knoppix on other filesystem types than ext2?

A03: That issue is currently worked on. However, you can install Knoppix
on your harddrive with knx-hdinstall first, switch to the root user,
create a new partion, format it with any filesystem you want and copy
the temporary installation to the new partition. After these steps don't
forget to adjust you boot loader and you /etc/fstab entries.

Q04: Can I install knoppix on more than one single partion?

A04: Not with the plain knx-hdinstall tool. There are too many details to
be considered that would turn the script itself unmanageable. But you
can install Knoppix on a single partion with knx-hdinstall and create
more partions after installation. Just follow the steps of Q3.

Q05: Can I create a permanent installtion of Knoppix on my harddrive "by hand"?

A05: Yes, there are several ways to accomplish this. [Klaus: Copy the
content of the KNOPPIX subdir whereto and ...?! + create boot disk]
[short instructions to perform knx-hdinstall by hand]

Q06: I just want to make minor changes to the image, like the default
language to boot or the permanent setting of a boot option. Is there an
easy way?

A06: A very quick and dirty way to adjust minor settings of Knoppix is
to load the whole image in a suitable editor and search for the default
boot command line. If you find the string "lang=de" you can change this
to "lang=us" or "lang=fr" if you like. Be careful not to change the
length of your image. Use overwrite mode to perform these dirty hacks.
There is no guarantee that this will actually work in all circumstances,
though. This works since the initial boot area is like a floppy disk on
the CD image that is not compressed in contrary to the distribution
itself, which uses the compressing cloop module after booting.

Q07: Is there a more safe way to make changes to the image?

A07: Kester Habermann wrote an utility that can read and write to the
uncompressed part of the iso image. With that utility you can change
default boot parameters (sometimes called cheatcodes), language or
keyboard settings permanently. [Kester: add a little bit more detailed
description and where to find that tool]

Q08: I want to make slightly more complex persistent changes to Knoppix
like the configuration of a static IP address or the installation of a
ssh certificate. Do I have to remaster the image?

A08: No you don't. If you pass the "floppyconfig" (or "custom" with is
actually an alias for "floppyconfig") boot option line (sometimes
inappropiately called cheatcodes), Knoppix searches after its hardware
detection and booting the system for a file "knoppix.sh" on a floppy
disk or in the "/" directory. You can place shell script commands into
that file to perform any desired action, like

  #!/bin/sh
  ifconfig eth0 192.168.6.66 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
  route add default gw 192.168.6.254

if you want to assign a static IP to your network interface (you have
to adjust the values with your own network settings, of course).

Q09: I want to use Knoppix in an unusual environment, like as a
interactive presentation, as a repair system, with a special combination
of tools or in my personal lunar vehicle. How can I customize Knoppix
with such an selection of tools?

A09: Basicly, Knoppix is a customized Debian GNU/Linux installation with
added autodection features. Any user familiar with the basic principles
of Linux or especially Debian administration can easily set up a
customized version of Knoppix. There is a minimalized Knoppix available
[Klaus: where to find it, which steps to perform to master an iso].

Q10: I'm quite satisfied with booting Knoppix from CDROM but would like
to keep files I worked with. How can I save my work permanently?

A10: There is the persistent-home subproject, which enables you to
select a partition where lots of your personal data can be stored. [xxx:
detailed description of the tool].

Q11: How can I change some of the defaults of a Knoppix installation
booted from CDROM?

A11: The root directory of Knoppix resides on a ramdisk of your memory.
The /etc directory, where most of the configuration files are stored, is
also located on this ramdisk. However, most files in this directory are
symbolic links to the CDROM for memonry consumption reasons. If you want
to change i. e. the /etc/hosts file, you can perform the following steps:

  Open a command shell, then become root:
  $ sudo -s
  # cd /etc
  # cp hosts hosts.tmp
  # rm hosts
  # mv hosts.tmp hosts

Now you have a copy of that file on the ramdisc which can be edited.

Q12: How can I save the settings of my desktop?

A12: Either see Q10 for a persistent home directory or save the
appropriate configuration files to a floppy disk or a permanent
partition (see Q08).

Q13: I mounted harddisk pratitions by clicking the icons on the desktop.
How can I write to them?

A13: Click on the icon with the right mouse button, select "Properties"
and uncheck the "read-only" marker. If you know the name of the
partition, you can also enter the following commands in a shell window:

  $ mount -o rw /mnt/hda3

for the third ("3") partition on your first ("a") EIDE ("hd") harddrive.
If you already mounted the partiton, enter:

  $ mount -o remount,rw /mnt/hda3

Check also /etc/fstab for this issue and read man fstab. Prior to shutdown
you should unmount all drives with

  $ umount -a

This is done automatically if you terminate your Knoppix session.