Re: [debian-knoppix] Should there be gaps in my /dev/tty's?

Am Sonntag, 24. November 2002 01:22 schrieb Whit Blauvelt:
> Hi,
>
> This looks odd to me:
>
> # cd /dev
> # ls tty?
> tty0  tty1  tty3  tty4  tty5  tty7  tty8  tty9
>
> So tty2 and tty6 aren't there.
>
> Also there are other gaps in the sequence:
>
> # ls tty[0-9][0-9]
> tty10  tty13  tty17  tty21  tty24  tty29  tty32  tty36  tty44  tty49  tty52
> tty56  tty60 tty11  tty14  tty18  tty22  tty25  tty30  tty33  tty41  tty46
> tty50  tty53 tty58  tty61 tty12  tty15  tty20  tty23  tty26  tty31  tty35
> tty43  tty48  tty51  tty54 tty59  tty62
>
> Where my Potato box has the sequence continuous through tty63. Is the bug
> a _moth_ eating holes in my devices?
>
> From the file dates it looks like /dev/tty's 1-6 get recreated on boot -
> whereas tty0 and everything above tty6 have dates inherited from the distro
> (both for Knoppix and Potato).
>
> On short experiment, ./MAKEDEV /dev/tty2 & 6 appears to fix the respawning
> problem. But of course the next time I reboot (and the machine's been
> rebooted a few times since this problem showed up) how do I avoid it losing
> those devices again? And what are those other gaps in the tty lineup doing
> there? I suppose it could be file corruption on the disk, but that wouldn't
> explain the missing tty2 & 6, since those look to be freshly created on
> every boot, so the problem shouldn't be consistent on rebooting as it has
> been if it's a problem with the disk or files.

We had the same problem ...

It was caused by buggy memory (It was set to turbo, but then there were
mem-holes)

So, we had the respawning with tty6-error, but after one MKDEV it was fixed

So I know this won't help you, but it was the experience we made ...

cu

Fabian

PS: What about a /etc/init.d/mymakedevs.sh-Skript, which recreates them every
boot ... ?!