Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix Autoconfig hangs with systems using Firewire / IEEE 1394

Hello Jeff,

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 10:16:43AM -0400, Jeff Penno wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got two computers that have firewire / IEE1394 cards that are hanging
> during the autoconfiguration -- first is a laptop (HP N5445 P3 1.06GHz) and
> the other is a desktop (HP 760N, P4 1.8Ghz).  I've tested the program on
> two other desktops and an HP 5450 laptop and it worked flawlessly (even
> discovered the D-Link 802.11b wifi card & hooked the laptop up to the
> network!)
>
> I was able to get the 760N desktop to work with Knoppix by physically
> removing the firewire card, but that's impossible with the laptop. Both
> firewire devices are controlled via PCI Bus 2.  The desktop uses a firewire
> card based on an Agere chip, and the laptop is using one based on a Texas
> Instruments OHCI.
>
> Is there a command (cheat code) that can be entered to disable the
> autoconfig scanning these devices like the noscsi one?

Actually, the problem you saw was present only in a few releases of
Knoppix where the lubkudzu library has changed. The firewire module
unloading failed there, and the detection did not terminate.
Interrupting hwsetup would still leave the system unusable, so I'm not
going to tell you that you can interrupt the init-scripts with
ALT-SysReq-K because it just wouldn't help.

Please try to get ahold of version 10-10-2002, where the error is fixed.

Regards
-Klaus
--
Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/