Re: Kernel version for stretch

Hi Ben,

Pulling in d-i on this, since they might be affected by this.  If you
know of a maintainer that would be similarly affected, let me know, so
we can ask them as well.

Ben Hutchings:
> [...]
>
> For stretch, I would very much like to choose a kernel version for
> stretch that gets longterm maintenance by Greg Kroah-Hartman.  That
> lasts 2 years from release, after which someone else (maybe me) can
> take over.  I do not want to maintain 3 kernel longterm branches at a
> time, and there is consensus among the stable maintainers that it is
> undesirable to have more than one longterm branch started per year.

Noted.

> Greg's new policy is to pick the first Linus release in each year for
> longterm maintenance.  The longterm branch for 2016 is based on Linux
> 4.4, released at the end of week 1 (10th January).  By the time stretch
> is released, 4.4 will be quite old (the same problem squeeze and wheezy
> had, requiring many driver backports).

Would you prefer that we moved future freezes (i.e. Buster and later),
so we could always rely on Greg's branch?  Not knowing Linux's LTS planning:

 * Does Greg do an LTS *every* year? OR,
 * is "each year for longterm maintenance" like Ubuntu's were they have
   years without LTS?

> Based on the current 9 week upstream release cycle, the longterm branch
> for 2017 will presumably be based on Linux 4.10, released at the end of
> week 3 (22nd January 2017).  That's well after the planned stretch
> freeze date so I don't see how it can be included.

Indeed that is a bit unfortunate.  With the freeze date already
announced, I am very hesitant to move it.

> Can you suggest any way to resolve this?

@Kernel+d-i - What is your take on the following:

 * How long will it take to have the new release ready?
   - That is, the latency between the 22nd and us having it in unstable.
   - How certain are we on the 22nd being the actual release date?
   - [d-i]: How long will it take to have a d-i using the new linux
     ready?

 * How difficult/disruptive do you expect the migration to linux 4.10
   will be?
   - Is this something we can reasonably do within a month?  2 months?
   - Can we plan ahead to reduce the time / issues?  Maybe use
     linux pre-releases?
   - If we start this, is it in anyway reasonable to do a roll-back
     within 2-3 weeks?  (I am guessing "no", but I figured I'd ask.)

 * If we were to stick with 4.4, what we will be missing out on?
   - Are there any planned/known "must haves"?
   - How long does Greg's LTS last?  We would spend at least a year of
     it before January 22nd 2017.

> (By the way, I haven't seen the stretch freeze dates announced
> anywhere; I only found them on a wiki page.  A new "Bits from the
> release team" seems to be overdue.)
>
> Ben.

A bits is indeed overdue.  The announcement happened in the Release Team
talk at DebConf15.

Thanks,
~Niels