Re: Kernel version for stretch

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 07:34:15AM +0000, Niels Thykier wrote:

> Pulling in d-i on this, since they might be affected by this.
[...]
> > Based on the current 9 week upstream release cycle, the longterm branch
> > for 2017 will presumably be based on Linux 4.10, released at the end of
> > week 3 (22nd January 2017).  That's well after the planned stretch
> > freeze date so I don't see how it can be included.
[...]
> @Kernel+d-i - What is your take on the following:
[...]
>  * If we were to stick with 4.4, what we will be missing out on?

>From the ARM architecture viewpoint I would very much like to see
a stretch release with kernel 4.10 instead of kernel 4.4.  In
particular regarding arm64 there is currently a lot of work done
to add proper mainline support for affordable hardware (Pine64,
Olimex A64-Olinuxino, boards from the 96boards initiative) that
we would miss if we release with kernel 4.4.

On armhf we would also miss quite a bit of important hardware
support improvements if we release with kernel 4.4 (in particular
KMS display driver and audio support for a large number of armhf
boards that we support only headless in jessie; patches are
currently in the review phase and will hopefully go into kernel
4.6/4.7).

Another issue with kernel 4.4 is that at the release time of
stretch a large part of the long-term support period for 4.4 will
already be over, so the maintainance effort for the Debian kernel
maintainers will be higher than with kernel 4.10.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der