Re: Testing versatile kernel on Raspberry Pi?

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 06:25:59PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> > > I had another think about this and compared kirkwood and orion5x.  It
> > > seems that they are similar enough that we can combine them without
> > > breaking the size limit (~2 MB compressed), though the result is very
> > > close.  Combining with versatile is probably not possible.
> >
> > 2MB is... tiny :( I guess it's an arbitrary limit from the
> > bootloaders? In that case it could be circumvented by chainloading
> > another bootloader? Probably not worth the trouble (since it's old
> > HW), though.
>
> [...]
>
> It's a limitation of the flash partitioning scheme, though I expect
> that's built into the bootloader.  Several other NAS boxes have even
> smaller partitions for the kernel (1.4 or 1.5 MB), which was just
> barely supportable with 3.16 (jessie) but not any more.

So it could be avoided by putting a secondary bootloader with
support for the rootfs filesystem into the kernel partition.
Probably it's not worth the effort for those old systems, but
it would remove the requirement of really small kernels.

-- Sebastian