Re: Testing versatile kernel on Raspberry Pi?

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 05:39:40PM +0100, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> On Monday 25 January 2016 14:58:27 Ian Campbell wrote:
> > > As I got the impression that support for the RPi was now present in
> > > upstream and (therefor) the Debian kernels,
> >
> > The "therefor" won't happen automatically, someone will need to file a
> > wishlist bug asking for the relevant options to be enabled in the Debian
> > kernel configuration.
> >
> > For the RPi's with the newer CPU cores it makes clear sense to do that in
> > the armhf/armmp kernel flavour (since it is the "multiplatform" flavour,
> > and the only one we want to support).
>
> I'll give it a try, but first have to learn about the armmp stuff.
>
> Here is the default kernel configuration for the RPi 2:
> https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/blob/rpi-4.4.y/arch/arm/configs/bcm2709_defconfig
> (which does not seem part of
> https://sources.debian.net/src/linux/4.4-1~exp1/arch/arm/configs/)

The kernel from the Raspberry Pi foundation and the mainline kernel
have different config options, so that won't be of much use. Check
mainline's arch/arm/configs/bcm2835_defconfig instead.

> > For the RPi's with the older cores it wouldn't seem to make much sense to
> > enable it in the armel/versatile flavour (because I can't see why it fits
> > there, despite folks apparently adding it there), but equally I'm not sure
> > we want to be adding new flavours to armel (which is essentially on the
> > downward slope of the support lifecycle at this stage). Perhaps others
> > around here feel differently though.
>
> Bummer for me as it won't solve the issue I hoped it would solve, but I'll try
> other avenues for that. But still, thanks for clarifying :-)

Another option would be adding RPi1 support to the armhf armmp
kernel. I guess the benefits of ARMv7 vs ARMv6 is neglectable for
the kernel (no floating point operations and Thumb2 should stay
disabled because of errata 430973 on some older Cortex-A8s [i.e.
on N900]) and one could use armel userland + armmp kernel from armhf.

-- Sebastian