Re: Testing versatile kernel on Raspberry Pi?

On Mon, 2016-01-25 at 15:46 +0100, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> > I wasn't aware that any of the RPi support (for any model) had gone
> > upstream.
>
> It has taken a while, but it seems that major parts are now upstream-ed.
> See the changelog mentioned earlier.

Great!

[...]
> As I got the impression that support for the RPi was now present in
> upstream and (therefor) the Debian kernels,

The "therefor" won't happen automatically, someone will need to file a
wishlist bug asking for the relevant options to be enabled in the Debian
kernel configuration.

For the RPi's with the newer CPU cores it makes clear sense to do that in
the armhf/armmp kernel flavour (since it is the "multiplatform" flavour,
and the only one we want to support).

For the RPi's with the older cores it wouldn't seem to make much sense to
enable it in the armel/versatile flavour (because I can't see why it fits
there, despite folks apparently adding it there), but equally I'm not sure
we want to be adding new flavours to armel (which is essentially on the
downward slope of the support lifecycle at this stage). Perhaps others
around here feel differently though.

Probably those two cases ought to be separate wishlist bugs for armhf vs
armel.

>  I wanted to offer my help in testing it, if needed.

Once someone does the work to enable them then testing would be valuable
(of course). Perhaps you can take on the former?

Ian.