Re: Testing versatile kernel on Raspberry Pi?

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 08:24:16AM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-01-25 at 17:59 +0100, Sebastian Reichel wrote:
> > Hi,

> > present in

> > file a
> > Debian

> > that in
> > flavour,
> > >
> > > I'll give it a try, but first have to learn about the armmp stuff.
> > >
> > > Here is the default kernel configuration for the RPi 2:
> > > https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/blob/rpi-4.4.y/arch/arm/config
> > s/bcm2709_defconfig
> > > (which does not seem part of
> > > https://sources.debian.net/src/linux/4.4-1~exp1/arch/arm/configs/)
> >
> > The kernel from the Raspberry Pi foundation and the mainline kernel
> > have different config options, so that won't be of much use. Check
> > mainline's arch/arm/configs/bcm2835_defconfig instead.

> > sense to
> > it fits
> > not sure
> > on the
> > others
> > >
> > > Bummer for me as it won't solve the issue I hoped it would solve,
> > but I'll try
> > > other avenues for that. But still, thanks for clarifying :-)
> >
> > Another option would be adding RPi1 support to the armhf armmp
> > kernel. I guess the benefits of ARMv7 vs ARMv6 is neglectable for
> > the kernel (no floating point operations and Thumb2 should stay
> > disabled because of errata 430973 on some older Cortex-A8s [i.e.
> > on N900])
>
> The Debian armhf kernels do not have support for ARMv6 enabled. AIUI
> moving to a v6+v7 capable kernel, other than muddying the waters WRT
> what "armhf" means,

An amd64 kernel can also boot i386, so imho kernel is always
special.

> would also mean falling back to ARMv6 features only missing out on
> ARMv7 additions like improvements to SMP barriers and atomic
> operations. I don't think we'd want to do that.

Ok, I assumed the kernel was capable of checking runtime if
it can use those features. Never mind then.

> IMHO RPi1 is best supported by Raspbian, or if people really want it in
> Debian then by armel, but not by an armhf+armel hybrid which involves
> supporting v6 in some way on armhf.

I had a few RPi1s running with armel. For simple tasks (e.g.
network2gpio or i2c) it's more than enough. I wonder if an armel
-armmp kernel would be worth the trouble. We currently have the
following armel kernel targets:

-kirkwood  (multiplatform support since v3.14 (ba5a37e521942))
-orion5x   (multiplatform support since v4.5 [0])
-versatile (DT only since v4.5 [0])

So maybe switch to -armv5 and -armv6 multiplatform kernels from
v4.5+?

-armv5     kirkwood + orion5x + versatile
-armv6     bcm2036

[0] http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1601.2/03005.html

-- Sebastian