Re: backporting 2.6.38 from unstable to squeeze

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011, Ben Hutchings wrote:

On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 13:23 +0530, Faheem Mitha wrote:
[...]
Also, I just tried to run 2.6.26 (still installed from when I was running
lenny) but it crashed and dropped down to the initramfs prompt. I don't
have the error message handy right now, but could get it. I just want to
know if I am missing something obvious. Should 2.6.26 continue to work on
squeeze without problems, or not?
[...]

No, see
<http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#upgrading-udev>.

Ok. Is the only problem with the lenny 2.6.26 that it has
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED enabled? Or are there other problems?

AFAIK that is the only problem.

Where would be the correct place to change this? I'm assuming this would be somewhere in the debian directory. Grepping for CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED gives me a few hits, but only the first looks relevant.

Do I change CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 in debian/config/config, or add a patch, or something else?

I notice there are other config files in subdirectories, presumably arranged in a reverse heirarchy.

                                                    Regards, Faheem

faheem@orwell:/usr/local/src/linux-2.6.26/linux-2.6-2.6.26/debian$ grep -r CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED *
config/config:CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y
config/featureset-openvz/config:CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y
patches/features/all/openvz/openvz.patch: #if defined(CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED) && defined(CONFIG_BLOCK)
patches/features/all/openvz/openvz.patch:+#ifndef CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED