Re: backporting 2.6.38 from unstable to squeeze

On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 13:23 +0530, Faheem Mitha wrote:
[...]
> >> Also, I just tried to run 2.6.26 (still installed from when I was running
> >> lenny) but it crashed and dropped down to the initramfs prompt. I don't
> >> have the error message handy right now, but could get it. I just want to
> >> know if I am missing something obvious. Should 2.6.26 continue to work on
> >> squeeze without problems, or not?
> > [...]
>
> > No, see
> > <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#upgrading-udev>.
>
> Ok. Is the only problem with the lenny 2.6.26 that it has
> CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED enabled? Or are there other problems?

AFAIK that is the only problem.

> I am seeing some failures in the 2.6.38 installation. See output below.
> Specifically, some problems with nvidia and virtualbox. I tried booting
> with .38, and it does boot, but compiling the nvidia module fails, and m-a
> is not particularly helpful when outputting errors. Should I upgrade the
> nvidia stuff to that in unstable? Would the unstable nvidia compile Ok
> with 2.6.32? Ie. is it backward compatible?

I don't know.  I don't really care about non-free drivers.

> I don't know what to think about virtualbox. I didn't try compiling the
> modules. If I need to use the unstable version on squeeze, it will need
> backporting from unstable. There are some C++ incompatabilities with the
> version in unstable.

So why not stick with 2.6.32?

> Additionally, I was seeing the following errors thrown on the console.
>
> "No human readable MCE decoding support on this CPU type
> Run the message through 'mcelog --ascii' to decode."

That's not an error, the messages before it are errors.

> Should I file bugs against any of this?
[...]

MCEs could be triggered by driver or other bugs, though they are usually
hardware problems.  So, do report a bug, but there may be nothing we can
do.