Re: backporting 2.6.38 from unstable to squeeze

Hi Ben,

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011, Ben Hutchings wrote:

On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 13:23 +0530, Faheem Mitha wrote:
[...]

Ok. Is the only problem with the lenny 2.6.26 that it has
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED enabled? Or are there other problems?

AFAIK that is the only problem.

Good to know. Thanks.

I am seeing some failures in the 2.6.38 installation. See output below.
Specifically, some problems with nvidia and virtualbox. I tried booting
with .38, and it does boot, but compiling the nvidia module fails, and m-a
is not particularly helpful when outputting errors. Should I upgrade the
nvidia stuff to that in unstable? Would the unstable nvidia compile Ok
with 2.6.32? Ie. is it backward compatible?

I don't know.  I don't really care about non-free drivers.

Fair enough. I have a Nvidia card GeForce 7300 GS. I'm not aware of free alternatives to the non-free Nvidia driver. Also, I have two screens, and I like the dual-screen functionality.

So why not stick with 2.6.32?

Good question. I've having hardware problems with a new IDE DVD writer. I was hoping I could make that problem go away by switching to another kernel, but instead I'm just encountering different problems.

I guess I should report a bug about this.

Additionally, I was seeing the following errors thrown on the console. "No human readable MCE decoding support on this CPU type Run the message through 'mcelog --ascii' to decode."

That's not an error, the messages before it are errors.

I see. I didn't notice any other messsages. Where would these messages be logged?

Should I file bugs against any of this?
[...]

MCEs could be triggered by driver or other bugs, though they are usually
hardware problems.  So, do report a bug, but there may be nothing we can
do.

Ok. Thanks.
                                                                    Faheem