Re: [libimobiledevice-devel] ipheth

On 04/01/2010 10:20 PM, Paul McEnery wrote:

> Ben, one of the reasons that I was slow to respond to the call to
> integrate ipheth into the mainline kernel is that I don't believe that
> it belongs there. It's far too dependent on other bits and pieces in
> order to function. It requires the user space usbmuxd daemon - and the
> phone must be paired before it will function. It may well be easy to
> add a utility for paring devices to the libimobiledevice-utils

Hi Paul,

While I respect your opinion, I'm not with you at all. Hardware drivers
*do* belong to the kernel. Integrating into mainline is just a matter of
working on it to fit to the development/coding/interface standards out
there.

Just think that for *every* piece of hardware you need additional
user-space tools other than the kernel module itself, just as with the
ipheth driver, so I don't see a special case here.

> Given what ipheth is, and how it works, I feel that DKMS provides a
> flexible and practical way of making it available to users. Despite my
> view on it, I am sure there are differing opinions - and I would like
> to hear them.

IMO, KDMS is just a proper way to use external modules that are not in
mainline in your current system. It's just a "patch" to mask the fact
that they are not in mainline, which is what I think that every kernel
module should tend to.

I mean, DKMS is not a fix to the fact that you need independent
userspace tools (that, as I mention before, happen to be needed for
*every* hardware/kernel module). In fact, althought you are compiling or
integrating the module with DKMS, you *still* need usbmuxd and the
pairing program.

Interesting discussion here. I hope it moves forward :)

Best regards,
--
L. Alberto Giménez
JabberID agimenez@jabber.sysvalve.es