Re: [RFC] Process for maintaining stable updates for drm for Lucid

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:52:10AM +0200, Stefan Bader wrote:
> On 08/30/2010 02:27 AM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-08-29 at 16:26 -0700, Brad Figg wrote:
> >> On 08/29/2010 02:17 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
[...]
> [...]
[...]
> We surely are interested in looking through 2.6.34.y drm patches to see which
> ones we think look good. If you already got a tree prepared there, lets have a
> look together.

I have pushed my branch to:

git://git.debian.org/kernel/linux-2.6.git#linux-2.6.32-drm33

(gitweb: http://git.debian.org/?p=kernel/linux-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/linux-2.6.32-drm33)

[...]
> - patches need to be tested to fix the reported issues
> - we should prefer patches from upstream
>   - if backports are required or the patch only is relevant to .33, we should
>     require/ask for an ack from a subsystem maintainer.
> - we probably should require (as upstream stable does) that patches are self
>   contained and small. Otherwise someone will come up with a giant backport
>   just because it fixes and issue.
> - maybe some sort of review mechanism like Greg does would be useful
[...]

I agree with all of the above.

                                                              - Albert Camus