Re: [RFC] Process for maintaining stable updates for drm for Lucid

On Sun, 2010-08-29 at 16:26 -0700, Brad Figg wrote:
> On 08/29/2010 02:17 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:04:16AM -0500, Steve Conklin wrote:
> >> The Lucid kernel consists of the 2.6.32 kernel plus the DRM tree from
> >> 2.6.33. Now that GregKH has announced the end of stable updates for the
> >> 2.6.33 kernel, the Ubuntu kernel stable maintenance team has been
> >> discussing the best way to continue to maintain a set of stable updates
> >> for the 2.6.33 DRM.
> >>
> >> I have prepared a wiki page based on our discussions, and would now like
> >> to open discussion to the Ubuntu kernel team mailing list.
> >
> > I'm interested in cooperating in this.
> >
> > I have prepared a git branch with drm changes from 2.6.34.3 up to
> > 2.6.34.6 as a basis for Debian kernel updates.  I can make that
> > public and post the patches for review if you want to consider
> > pulling that.
> >
> > Ben.
> >

> Ben,
>
> What are your thoughts on taking drm patches once the 2.6.34 stable tree
> closes?

I think we should keep taking applicable patches from the oldest active
stable series after 2.6.33, possibly adding intermediate patches that
they depend on (example: da7be68, backported to 2.6.34.6, depends on
c414a11, not present in 2.6.33.y).

The Debian kernel update policy is:
<http://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernelPatchAcceptanceGuidelines>.