Re: firmware-linux package non-free?

Hello Jürgen,

> Thank you all for explaining the matter to me!
> I finally understand why there has to be this non-free firmware package.
>
> Hopefully there will be a convenient "exception" for the squeeze release
> similar to the vote for lenny, but i guess this has to be discussed
> somewhere else.
Note that in the case of the radeon drivers X.org is still able to
display something even if the firmware is missing.  (I don't know the
details, I just saw it once on one of my machines.)  So you should be
able to install normally and only add the firmware package when the
system is up and running.

Best regards
Uwe

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Uwe Kleine-König            |
Industrial Linux Solutions                    | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |